In 1915, the end of the Pickelhaube had come; the expensive brass and German silver fittings on all issued helmets were changed to steel to free up brass and silver needed for the war effort. The reflective fittings on pre-war helmets had also proved to be a liability in wartime, so the grey steel fittings served two purposes. The steel fittings were not painted; they were chemically oxidized to give them a flat non-reflective finish and and can be encountered in many shades of grey. The M1915 pattern was introduced on 28 June 1915, with Bayern (Bavaria) also adopting the pattern on 11 Nov 1915. |
In an effort to make the wearer less obvious and visible, the spike was now removable. The spike was slotted and fit into a corresponding bayonet-style lug on the round spike base. Helmets from this period tend to reflect the war time economy, and are usually made from a much thinner leather than older helmets. The leather liners in particular suffered as a result of the shortage, and surviving examples can be found with paper thin, fragile liners.
M1915 Preußia Line Infantry Regt