Imperial German Pickelhaube Evolution 1842-1915
 
The Model 1895 Pickelhaube
To improve ventilation, on the Model 1895 issued Pickelhaube the rear spine on helmets worn by Foot Troops was equipped with a vent near the base of the spike which was fitted with a small sliding cover. This sliding cover allowed the user to increase or decrease the flow of ventilation in the helmet according to the weather conditions. This sliding vent appears to have been only utilized on Infantry helmets. Artillery and other troops did not adopt this feature until some time in 1914.

The spike remained the same as the Model 1887 and the Model 1891, however, the rotating neck was removed.
The soldered bolt and nut system used to secure the front Wappen onto the helmet was changed to a system for retaining Wappen on the front of helmets that had been used as far back as 1845 for Bayern (Bavarian) helmets and 1867 for Sachsen (Saxon) helmets. A soldered loop was affixed to the back of the Wappen which passed through corresponding grommetted holes on the front of the helmet. A leather wedge was then passed through the loop on the interior to keep the Wappen in place.

The Preußen issued Wappen in 1895 were intended to be made out of Tombak (an alloy made from a combination of copper and zinc) but it seems that the copper-color was unpopular and they were soon replaced with Aluminiumbronze which has a very bright brass appearance.

M1895 Preußia Infantry Regt 31 Reserve
 
Click on the thumbnail picture for a larger picture and a full explanation.
Front Wappen
Spike Base
Side & Liner
Rear Spine
Plate Loops
 
1897 Reichs-Kokarde
In 1897 a new Reichs-Kokarde in Red-White-Black was introduced for all ranks to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Kaiser Wilhelm 1st. The Reichs-Kokarde was to be worn on the right side of the helmet, and the state Kokarde was moved to the left.
This period photo of an issued M1895 shows the vented spike neck and M1891 leather chinstrap.
 
References